Student Admissions Representatives (STARS) – is an exciting volunteer student organization that works within the Office of Admissions. STARS work to present a positive, realistic student view of Iowa State University to prospective students and parents. The organization's members are selected through an interactive interview process and if selected take part in a high energy, fast pace environment that allows them to showcase their talents, communication skills, and love of Iowa State.
Activities and duties
STARS provide Daily Campus Tours and Residence Hall Tours.
Experience Iowa State (EIS) programs take place several times each semester. The Office of Admissions offers large open house opportunities for guests to enjoy a day long Iowa State experience. This event allows various opportunities for STARS to assist.
Group Visits allow STARS to participate in student panels and give tours for specific high schools, community colleges, multicultural groups, Women in Science and Engineering programs, and talent search programs.
While the STARS program is a volunteer organization, there are guidelines for participation:
- STARS can expect to give at least two campus tours each month.
- STARS can expect to give at least two residence hall tours each month if schedule permits.
- Attend two meetings each month.
- Behave in a professional and appropriate manner on all tours.
- Exhibit outstanding customer service skills.
- Share their pride and positive experiences about Iowa State.
- The term of service for STARS is an academic year.
- If provisions are not adhered to, members will be dismissed from the STARS organization.
- Attend meetings twice a month. Attendance at the meetings is mandatory.
- Meetings last approximately one hour and include important training activities, guest speakers, and social events.
- Attend training retreats each semester. Retreats generally take place early in the spring and fall semesters.
- The retreat is an opportunity to meet other STARS and Admissions staff as well as experience training on all the duties and responsibilities associated with being a STAR.