Will your credits transfer?

Taking a course from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution will normally transfer to Iowa State if they are comparable to courses offered for academic credit here or would earn academic credit if they were offered.

A general rule of thumb, college-level courses where you have passing grades are acceptable for transfer. Some departments may require at least a "C" grade for a specific course to be applied to the degree program.

How will your credits transfer?

Evaluation of transfer credit is a two-step process:

  1. When you apply, we will review the coursework you took at another institution to determine whether it’s acceptable for transfer. For Fall 2023 and Spring/Summer 2024 applicants, you’ll receive information on how to view your Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) form in AccessPlus. For Fall 2024 applicants, you’ll receive information on how to view your Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) form in MyAccount. The TCE will tell you which courses have been accepted for transfer.
  2. Reach out to your college representative as soon as possible after receiving the TCE to discuss how the credits accepted for transfer apply to your degree program.

Each of Iowa State's colleges determines which transfer credits meet requirements for its degrees. For example, a chemistry course that counts toward the graduation requirement for a chemistry major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences may not fulfill a graduation requirement for majors in the College of Engineering.

Additional transfer options

Current Iowa State students

If you are a current Iowa State student and you're looking to complete courses to transfer back to Iowa State, visit the Registrar's Office website for additional information.

Project Lead the Way (PLTW) college credit

Have you taken a Project Lead the Way (PTLW) course and received college credit from another institution? All you have to do is request that your transcript be transferred to us to review.